Useful Packing, Storage and Moving Tips From Sentinel Self-Storage
At Sentinel Self-Storage, not only do we provide our customers with the finest public storage facilities in Canada, we hope our knowledge and expertise will make your moving, packing and storage as hassle-free as possible.
- Purchase packing supplies from Sentinel.
- Try to use the same size of boxes (especially if you require self storage). This will help efficiently utilize your rental unit space.
- Label all your boxes clearly.
- When disassembling household furniture, tape loose legs and hardware together so you don’t lose them.
- Wrap fine china in plain paper as inked paper may run. Sentinel sells ink-free newsprint sheets for this purpose.
- Pack books flat to protect their spines and place a fabric softener sheet in the boxes to prevent mildew smell.
- Furniture with drawers can be utilized as storage places for small household items, pictures, knick-knacks, etc.
- Larger appliances make excellent packing cases for bedding, towels and other linens.
- Shovels, hoes, rakes and hoses can be stored together in empty trash cans. Stack extra cans inside one another.
- Leave clothes in dressers, but make certain the drawers are not too heavy.
- Wipe metal objects down with a rag containing a few drops of machine oil to retard rust.
- When moving your household items into a public storage facility, plan to move in the heavy, bulky items first and place these items on the floor of your mini storage unit to provide a good stacking base.
- If you’re placing items in self storage, book Sentinel’s courtesy move-in truck. Or, if you hire movers, your nearest Sentinel location can provide a list of reliable local movers.
Moving / Self Service Storage Suggestions
- Typically, household contents of a two-bedroom apartment or house, excluding appliances can be stored in a 10’ X 10’ mini storage unit. (8’ high). Our knowledgeable on-site managers can provide helpful advice about your self storage requirements.
- When deciding between heated or unheated rental units, consider whether you will be storing expensive electronic component, quality furniture and other weather sensitive goods. See our climate controlled self storage page for more information.
- Valuable items should be placed out of sight at the back of the unit.
- Purchase affordable self storage content insurance at Sentinel.
Moving, Packing and Storage – Sentinel Offers Advice And More
When you’re moving, self service storage is often a requirement. At Sentinel Self-Storage we have locations throughout Canada – in Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and British Columbia, and years of experience to offer the best service and facilities in the business.
Browse our site for more information, then drop by or call for more information. Good luck with your move!