On March 21st, spring officially arrived after what seemed like a very long winter. The air is finally starting to warm up and the ground is beginning to thaw out, and soon enough we’ll be able to open our windows and doors to allow the fresh air into our homes.
With the arrival of the warmer weather, it’s time to start your yearly spring cleaning tasks. Did you know that spring cleaning has been going on for centuries? Back in the day, people would have to close up their homes tightly all winter long, which meant dirt and ash from their fireplaces would build up everywhere- not to mention the germs! The first taste of warm weather allowed people to open up their homes and thoroughly clean every surface- walls, floors, mattresses, etc. Today, this tradition of spring cleaning continues in the form of completing deep cleaning tasks, as well as organizational and remodeling projects.
Spring Cleaning List of Tasks to Get You Started
If you’re looking for some spring cleaning ideas, you’ve come to the right place! The first step in how to spring clean your home involves defining what your ultimate goal will be. Do you want to clean out and organize every closet? Give your kitchen a deep, thorough cleaning including the appliances and pantry? Or do you simply want to de-clutter areas of the home to add more storage space? Having a goal in mind will help you stay on task and make those spring cleaning projects easier to achieve.
Here are a few easy spring cleaning tips to think about as you begin:
- Create a checklist. Writing down a spring cleaning list of the tasks you want to accomplish will help you stay on track. Plus, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment as you’re able to scratch items off that list!
- Get the right supplies. Once you have your checklist prepared, decide what supplies you’ll need before you get started. You don’t want to have to stop halfway through a project because you’ve run out of a certain cleaner or need more boxes to store some of that clutter in.
- Enlist help! Family members should all be involved in the spring cleaning process. The more hands involved, the quicker the projects will be completed. Assign certain areas to each of your helpers, spreading out the jobs to make it easier on everyone.
- Do one project at a time. It’s easy to get distracted when you start spring cleaning, especially if you’re going through clutter and making decisions on what to keep and what to toss or put in storage. Stay on task by having a box to put items you’re unsure of what to do with right away. If you’re deep cleaning a room, do one project at time in that room, like shampooing the rugs or scrubbing the tiles. Pace yourself and the projects will get done in due time!
- Keep it up. Once you’ve accomplished your home or apartment organization and/or cleaning goals, keep it up throughout the rest of the year. Plan on washing the windows, cleaning curtains or scrubbing the walls seasonally to make it less of a huge chore come spring cleaning time.
Sentinel Storage is ready to help you keep your home or apartment organized all year long! We have a variety of storage unit sizes available to help meet any of your needs. Stop by one of our convenient locations today!