You already know that renting a self storage unit is a perfect solution to gain back some storage space within your home. Storing collectibles or items you don’t need to access on a daily basis in a storage unit allows for a less cluttered home, too.
Regardless of whether you’re storing belongings for the long or short term, you want to make sure they’re protected while in storage. A secure self storage facility will give you the peace of mind that your items will be safe and ready for you to access them when you need them.
Self Storage Security Features
When you decide to rent a self storage unit, the security features the facility has available should be top of mind. Thoroughly research local facilities to find the most secure storage space for your belongings. Some of the main self storage security features you should look for in a facility include:
- Bright Lighting and Cleanliness: One of the most important self storage security features is proper lighting, and this is something you’ll notice the moment you step onsite. Make sure the facility has proper lighting in both the outdoor and indoor storage areas; this is especially important for facilities that offer 24 hour access to their storage units. A clean property also shows that the managers and staff take pride in their facility and keep an eye out for the safety concerns of their customers.
- Access with Keypads: A secure storage facility will have access with electronic keypads for entry. When you get your code, make sure to share it with a very limited amount of people. To provide added security, the resident manager of the facility will be able to track who entered the facility and when.
- Security Cameras: A secure storage facility should have at least one video camera (at the gate), however, most facilities have more cameras throughout the property. Video camera systems at self storage facilities range from cameras that offer 360 views to motion activated cameras. When you’re visiting the self storage facility for the first time, make sure to ask how often the camera footage is monitored throughout the day.
- Secure Self Storage Units with Individual Door Alarms: Individual door alarms give an additional level of security. In addition to door alarms, having a door lock is important for storage security. Make sure you purchase a disc or cylinder lock for your storage unit that it is difficult to cut with box cutters.
- On-site Management and Office Hours: Management should be available during all office hours to give added security to the location. Self storage operations also have specific gate access hours and office hours for added security.
At Sentinel Storage, keeping your belongings safe and secure is of the utmost importance! If you have any questions about safe self storage with Sentinel, please give us a call our stop by one of our locations any time.